Monday, February 03, 2003

Well blogging in Hebrew is turning out to be quite an experience. Intense. Sticky. Hazardous. Much like life itself here in Israel.

Working with Isra-blog is wonderful, though. Simple, clear, unbelievably user friendly. On the one hand, I have less control over my blog and there is a certain uniformity about the way all the blogs look. But on the other, I have much more freedom in other respects (isn’t that also so very symptomatic of Israeli life?).

Only problem is I get more than I bargained for as part of the package. Instant fame and fortune, even before I know what I’m doing, and my old foe …. Comments. No way to do away with them. And they’ve certainly started coming! I’ve already managed to get into some arguments and you know how much I like that. One thing I must say is that, as an old hand at comments (having used two different options since June), the commenting system is excellent and, if the Hebrew version is anything to go by, I highly recommend the English version of them that is available. If I ever add comments here again (yeah, right) I will definitely use the “Made in Israel” option (hint hint, nudge nudge).

Yariv, the guy who put it all together, seemed quite surprised when I broke it to him that quite a lot of serious bloggers do not make use of comments. Of course, he’s an interested party. He’s marketing comments, after all. Oh, well. I suppose I’ll just have to live with them, until a better alternative comes along.