Friday, January 07, 2005

So much to learn about Israel
Bish, R.T., and I started a course with the Open University today. One Friday a month we will go on a bus trip to learn about "Man and the Desert". Our teacher is archeologist Avner Goren, who you will probably know all about if you have read Walking with the Bible. I haven't, but definitely mean to. I dare you to try to read that link without it making you want to order the book. This too. They're making a film of it, by the way.

Today was a sort of introduction to the course, and took place in the Land of Israel Museum in Tel Aviv, and in the Israel Museum in Jerusalem. We learnt so much, and it was so very interesting, that I can't tell you about it, I wouldn't know where to begin.

I can just say one thing, and that is that we saw tangible evidence that we really are living in what was the cradle of civilization. And I feel privileged to be able to learn about it all straight from the horse's mouth. (Would that be a very rude thing to say about a world-famous archeologist?)

Next month we're in the Beer Sheva area. If I remember to, I could take the camera and take some photos to show you.