Sunday, February 09, 2003

War again.
The thing is, this time around, and I think I’ve said this before, my personal feeling is completely different. If New Yorkers, and maybe Americans on the whole, lost something in the way of personal security, or more accurately, the feeling that personal security is something to be taken for granted, on September 11, 2001, here in Israel, this happened to us in January and February 1991. This lack of personal security has deepened since, with the rampant terrorism, which we know is currently not happening only because of the relentless work of the security forces. We are informed daily of terrorists being apprehended on their way to perpetrate terrorist attacks.

You know, missile attacks come and go, terrorist attacks come and go. If we’ve got our name on someone’s explosive belt, lovingly embroidered on by his or her Mom or Grandma, there’s little we can do if he or she have got past the security forces. Likewise, if a rusty missile misses Ramat Gan this time, heads straight for my building (right a bit, up a bit, bullseye…) and decides that the second floor is a good place to land, there will be little to do except kick myself (if I have time) for not going off to Mitzpe Ramon when I could have. So why worry? I’m mainly peeved about all the bother of having to tidy up Youngest’s room in preparation as a sealed room, and pack evacuation bags (It says we have to in the booklet. I’ve read it at last, well, skimmed through), when some of the girls’ winter clothes are getting too small for them already and if I pack part of what’s left they won’t have enough to wear every day, the laundry situation being what it is. I’m far too lazy for all this hassle.

Who am I kidding? I’m not doing anything because thinking of it makes my heart beat faster than is healthy.

* * * *

I’m back from picking Youngest and her friends up from their dance lesson. I worked it all out on the way. What I’ll do is I’ll make a list of things I have to do to get ready. Then I can cross each one out as I go along. Ok, now that’s sorted out I feel much better. I’ll just make a note to remember to make a list.

This is hopeless. Maybe we could all just go to sleep and wake up when it’s over?

Update: Thank you Alisa for noticing the dates mix up. All fixed now.