Monday, June 09, 2003

(written yesterday - blogger wasn't working)

As peace gets nearer (4 dead; 4 wounded)
A (Jewish) Buddhist friend said, in that sunny voice, that peace is near. And I said we've heard that before and realized how bitter I sounded.

Is there any wonder I have little to say?

What would I vote if there was a referendum tomorrow on the question of the Road Map and the Aqaba understandings? In favor, very likely. I'm a sucker for peace agreements.

Update: Dan (whose blog is a fun accident waiting to happen) wrote: "your (jewish) buddhist friend is right. buddhists tend to see life on a grander scale. the problem is, the closer you get to real-life, here and now reality, the harder it is to maintain a zen perspective. you are only one person. what is the best you can do but keep peace in your heart? that and communicate your vision of peace to as many people as you can. i sound like a friggin' infomercial, don't i?"

The thing is I'm all out of vision, Dan. I had plenty of it last time around. I was one of those euphoric starry-eyed nitwits, dancing around as if the Messiah was at the gates of Jerusalem on his white donkey. It turned out it was just that my specs were dirty. Now they are squeaky clean and I don't see any Messiah's out there. (Just kidding, my specs are never squeaky clean).

So now my support of any peace talks is more of the stark reality pessimism type.