Saturday, August 10, 2002

This is very sad
Posted by an Egyptian woman on a forum on Arabia.com:
"What I miss most when I return to Egypt…
Forget about the shops or the food, what I miss most are the silly little things that westerners might take for granted. What do I miss when I’m back here? I miss the freedom to walk without getting catcalls, I miss being able to reach up for something without worrying if a centimeter of my tummy will be visible, I miss seeing PDA’s that show me that the world is not such a harsh place with no feelings. I miss the friendly waiters and salespeople who don’t envy you for having money while they serve you. I miss the polite drivers who don’t feel that they have a right to run over anyone poor enough to not own a car. I miss being able to walk with my brother at night without getting accusatory looks that make me wanna pull out my ID to show them we’re related. I do love my country but I just wanted to tell everyone to enjoy the little things in life that they might not think twice about. Just like I’m thankful that I can live in a country where I can get an education, get a job and be my own person. Enjoy your life whatever and wherever it is."