Sunday, August 18, 2002

Bibi or Sharon?
The Likud’s recent voter registration drive has apparently been a phenomenal success, making the Likud the largest party in Israeli history with 311,884 members. It’s obvious that most of the 200,000 new members joined not out of love of the party or its platform, but to have a say in the results of the future primary showdown between Prime Minister Ariel Sharon and former Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu. I’ve not seen any polls about this (and I don’t suppose I will, either), so I don’t know which one of them managed to pull more voters. I know one or two traditional left wing voters who were planning to register specifically so they could vote for Sharon, for fear of getting Netanyahu back (no one has any illusions about the Labor Party). I suppose a lot of right wing voters have done the same, in order to vote for Netanyahu.