Friday, December 06, 2002

Hannuka is not a time for dieting.
Gil has posted a recipe for levivot (latkes). I use my mum’s recipe, which is written on a little piece of paper, which used to be pink but is now brownish and full of stains. When I left home Mum and Our Sis gave me this recipe along with Mum’s recipe for Spaghetti Bolognese (which I no longer use because it has meat in it). Thus armed, I went out to find my fortune. I found Bish instead. He has turned out to be a real treasure, but you wouldn’t have thought it at the time.

So here goes: Grate 4 big potatoes. Let drain. (I often add things at this point. Usually onion, sometimes zucchini (courgette), also grated and drained, sometimes chopped parsley. I tried tofu once, but it wasn't a success); mix 2 eggs; 4 tbs self-raising flour or 4 tbs plain flour and 1 tsp baking powder; add salt and pepper. (I once tried whole-wheat flour but it wasn’t as nice). Heat oil and fry till golden brown.

Actually, our recipes are very similar. Gil’s has more flour; Mum’s has more potato. Probably affected by what was available in days of old. I’ve tried making levivot using fancy recipes I’ve seen in books and they’re never as nice as the simple “heimischer” ones.

By the way, levivot are much tastier when the kids have taken an active part in making them.

Next year I’ll give you my mother-in-law’s recipe for sufganiot (Hannuka doughnuts). I’ll have to learn how to make them myself, first.