Tuesday, March 18, 2003

Here we go, here we go, here we go, here we go, here we go, here we go, here we go, here we go, here we go
Thank you Lynn B. and Haggai for taking the time to e-mail me and tell me that it's called a pre-nuptial agreement. I had thought of that but didn't think it suitable. The agreement we signed was a monetary agreement between two people, not necessarily between a couple planning to enter any sort of marital style arrangement. Another reason it didn't seem appropriate was the connotation I have, probably the result of watching too many crumby American suspense movies (No offense. I don't think all American suspense movies are crumby. You have to admit some are, though), of a pre-nuptial agreement being something to do with scheming opportunists marrying millionaires while harboring dark ideas of murder and easy money (Or something on the lines of that tacky fat blond woman whom I have seen momentarily on American TV shows while zapping. Am I right in supposing that her late husband didn't find such an agreement necessary?).

This could serve as a taste of how Hollywood colors the way non-Americans perceive the US, in case you guys were wondering why you aren't so very popular in certain corners of the world. Us foreigners probably get a pretty warped view of life in America (What? Don’t all Americans look like Michelle Pfeifer?).

Yesterday I met up with some old school pals, who have returned to live in Israel after many years in various parts of North America. They pointed out how hard it is for them in Israel to reach the standard of living they had enjoyed effortlessly in the US and Canada. I'm fortunate I don't have to make any such comparisons, never having lived or worked anywhere but in Israel (besides a few years in infanthood and early childhood). It's maybe easier to appreciate and enjoy what you do have if you don't have high expectations.

Treasury Minister Netanyahu announced new economic steps yesterday including the plan to fire around two thousand government workers this year (and another two thousand next year) and an average cut of 8% in governmental salaries. Sounds the right thing to do to me, the question is if he’ll manage to get it past the Histadrut (union). I only hope I'm not one of the two (or four) thousand.

Netanyahu's timing was impeccable. The whole thing is getting far less media attention than if everyone wasn't more interested in what's going to happen in Iraq.

And if we're on the subject of war with Iraq, I've come to the conclusion that this must be the war most-talked-about-in-advance in all of history.

Anyway, the latest is, fresh from this morning, that we're to prepare the secure rooms for use already. There was widespread speculation at my workplace this morning that tonight’s the night. Well, those of you who are in America will maybe get to see it start live on TV this evening. I'll be asleep in bed, thank you very much, unless rudely awoken by an air raid siren.

I had to work till 1 am last night for reasons unrelated to the war. Today I came home from work early because it's Purim. Now I'm going to bed for a little afternoon schloff (before I drop - I didn't get much sleep last night). When I get up, we'll start moving stuff into the security room.