Wednesday, March 19, 2003

Nothing will probably happen here, but still…
Schools will be open tomorrow. Bish and I both have to work. It looks like I’m going to have to work over the weekend too. My job has some sort of significance in a time of emergency and I can’t just stay off. Bish’s mother is also very busy in her capacity as organizer of volunteers for the Home Front Command in her town. When I rang her cell phone this morning, she pressed to accept the call but didn’t answer. I could hear her talking in the middle of what sounded like a pretty important meeting. It sounded like they were making last minute logistic plans.

All these things taken into account, Mitzpe Ramon is out of the question for the time being. Bish would rather the girls were there. I’m more an advocate of routine. It doesn’t matter either way because we can’t go or send them. At least we have a good security room here in Tel Aviv. Much better than the place we were living last time. Bish is talking about going down with the girls (and without me) for the weekend.

I think a lot of parents won’t be sending their kids to school tomorrow, which could be a good thing, because it will be easier for the teachers to organize the kids that do show up (like mine) in the secure rooms if necessary. Both my girls’ teachers don’t have kids of their own, so there won’t be a danger of their not coming. The missiles, if they arrive, will most likely be coming in the night anyway. I hope they do, because the sealed room on my floor at work is so pathetic, I reckon it’ll be just as safe to stay in my own office, or make a dash for the good sealed room downstairs at the front.

I don’t like the idea of not having the girls with me at home all the time. But this is just the way it has to be. I do think keeping to routine is better for the girls psychologically. The kids who will go to school will probably have a lot of fun, especially if there are not a lot of them, because there will probably be a special intimate atmosphere. Eldest is trying to persuade me to let her stay home. She reasons that they won't get any studying done so why bother. No way is she staying home alone tomorrow!

Another member of my family, who will remain unnamed, has prepared for war by buying earplugs and an extra tin of baked beans. This person has no intention of letting any silly old missile attack spoil his/her beauty sleep. That’s the spirit! If I didn’t have any kids I‘d probably do the same. Lucky devil!